Tuesday, February 8, 2011

DAYS 26 - 27 BOGOTA - CALI

Monday morning we went to the airport to get our bikes checked into Columbia - much like a border crossing without the heat.  The folks at the cargo company were very nice and let us reassemble our bikes inside the warehouse which means we don't have to keep a constant eye on our belongings then as you can see we rode the bikes down a ramp and we were on our way.  About a 3 hour process.  The next fun is to get out of town, very few road sign and tons of construction.  At one of the stop lights I went to put my left foot down and my pant leg got caught on the foot peg so my foot couldn't reach the ground - I went down like the guy on "Laugh In" on the trike.  A bunch of people run to help me and I was on my way in no time - a bruised ego (and maybe a little butt).  We didn't take very many pictures because of the rain/mist but this is beautiful country. 

On Monday we were over 9,000 feet and as low as 1,000 feet with temps varying with the altitude.  We finally found a hotel in the middle of nowhere -$10.50 for the room and a place right next door that served chicken and the trimmings (no idea what some of it was).  We were at 6,000 feet - no heat but plenty of covers.

Tuseday morning we got a bit of a late start since it was raining and we were hoping it would blow over - it kinda did.  On the way to Cali were were well over 10,000 feet in a cloud/fog bank with wet roads on the way up and starting to dry on the way down.  In Columbia the better roads are toll roads except for motorcycles which have a narrow lane on the right side that is free.  One of them was a little too narrow for my bike and I made contact with a guard rail and it knocked me into a curb and down I went again - same as before a bunch of people ran over to help.  I am glad I bought all of the crash bars and accessories but I really never wanted to actually use them.  We finally made it to Cali and found a hotel/hostel - $10 each but nice.  Plus WiFi. 














No comments:

Post a Comment