Friday, March 25, 2011

DAY 70 - 72 -- LEAVING BUENOS AIRES

On Wednesday we went downtown to pay for shipping the bikes - it was raining so I wore my Frog Togg top and my sandles (not my best decision of the day).  The top is so tattered I looked like I would have to be given money to raise to the level of a street person.  I had received an estimate for shipping the bike and I was  wondering how close it would be - Sandra hit it within $1.00 - she is good.  It cost $1,611.27 US to prepare and ship the bike to San Francisco and hopefully I can pick it up Monday so I can ride home on Tuesday.  No pictures today due to the rain.

Thursday was kind of a lazy day, we didn't want to go downtown again so we got on the train and rode it to the end of the tracks just to see what there was to see.  Not much but I snapped a few pictures anyway.

It is now Friday and I am sitting in Dakar Motos by myself since Joe went to the airport at 8:00 PM for his 6:30 AM flight - by now he is probably sitting in the Lima Airport waiting for his flight to San Salvador where he will connect to a flight that will get him to San Francisco around midnight.  Since it is a National holiday here there is nobody working and Brian Ross (AKA Rossi) left yesterday - it was a very quiet night - just me and the cat.  Rossi is a 22 year old from Australia that is riding by himself and camping most of the time and intends to make his way up to the US before heading to Europe.  I think I did this travel thing all backward - what a great experience at the age of 22 - I hope to see him if he passes through Las Vegas.

I leave for the airport at 4:00PM for a 9:00 PM flight to Washington DC then tomorrow morning I connect with a flight to San Francisco and should arrive around noon - Joe will have just enough time to get home,   catch a little sleep and drive the 60 miles back ot the airport to pick me up.  We took seperate flights because I used United flight miles - 55,000 points were required but it saved me from buying a $900 ticket.

Now, a few pictures:

This is the menu from a pizza place close to Dakar Motos - I said I wanted a pizza and he brought me a Pepsi - no communication problems on this trip - Ha.


This is Rossi getting ready to leave.


His hat is his traveling companion.


What we would call subdivision.  The tanks on the roof hold water and give them steady water pressure.


One of the endless peddlers on the trains.  Everything from magazines to soda, hot dogs, candy, pastry, fingernail clippers, socks - you get the picture.

 Just a few bikes.

This was as it "started" to get crowded.


I probably won't post to the blog again untill I get home although I will be running my SPOT Tracker on Tuesday or whatever day I ride home.  Then I think I will try to get an idea of how many gallons of fuel I used and a ballpark cost for the trip.  I think I will take a nap.

I just checked on my bike and it is in Houston.  That means it might be in San Francisco today which would mean I could pick it up for sure on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment