Saturday, March 12, 2011

DAY 59 - HEADING NORTH

As we rode out of Ushuaia I figured I wouldn't have very much to put on my blog since we were only riding 135 miles and we have already been on this road and we were backtracking to Rio Grande.  I was a little bit wrong.  We were about10 miles out of Ushuiai when I noticed Joes engine smoking and I thought that it was funny since it hadn't been doing that on the entire trip.  Then I saw a little more smoke and then I saw something that looked orange and I couldn't figure out what Joe had on his bike that was orange and then the orange area got a little bigger and the smoke got much smokier - Joes bike was on fire!  I hit the throttle and got alongside Joe and got him pulled over and yelled that his bike was on fire.  Before he could get totally stopped - He was on fire.  I got my bike stopped, me disconnected from the bike and went back to his bike to help get the fire out.  Joe wouldn't wait for me to get my camera so I could take a picture of him on fire - he insisted on puting it out as fast as he could - he is getting very hard to get along with - it would have been a great picture.  By now you are probably ready to see a few pictures:





Looks like someone needs a new set of Frogg Toggs (rain gear).  They are very thin and 100% polyesther and burn like a dry Christmas tree.


Even though it looks bad there is no serious damage - it is lucky we got stopped in time to get it out.


The yellow/green stuff on the ground is synthetic oil that was starting to catch fire.




I have a few more pictures but the blog site is not working well now so I will upload them later.  Oh yeh, Joe is fine - no burns  - just a few pieces of partially burned clothes.  We will see what tomorrow brings.


This guy just happened along on a bike just as we were getting things under control.  He is from Greenland and is not allowed to bring the motorcycle home with him - they have a law against them.  Also I don't thonk they have much of a road system since it is pretty much all ice.


No comments:

Post a Comment