Friday, May 21, 2010

Just a few more days.

I bought this bike about a year ago specifically for this Alaska trip and for the trip to South America that I will start in Jan 2011. It has taken this much time to add all of the accessories to the bike. I had just installed new tires plus I changed the oil and filter so I was ready to start packing when I received a factory recall to fix a vent hose last Monday. The dealer said they could get me in and out in about 30 minutes so I rode out to the BMW dealer on Tuesday and got the repair done.

On the way home I stopped to fill the bike with gas so I would be ready to leave early Monday the 24th. After filling my bike it wouldn't start. Long story short I push started the bike, did as much trouble shooting as I could on this computer on 2 wheels and called the dealer. I push started the bike on Wednesday and rode it to the BMW shop - they had never seen anything like my problem on any bike. The Alaska trip wasn't looking so good all of a sudden. Their computer said nothing was wrong with my bike and of course computers don't lie. After over 2 hours of old fashion trouble shooting they finally figured out a way that I can start my bike even though they didn't actually solve the real problem.


I am back on track for a Monday departure. Here are a few photos.





The bottom picture is how it looks from the seat.  The thing on the left is the CB radio so I can talk with Joe.  The orange thing is the sending unit that sends signals to the tracking system so you can see where I am and the thing on the right is my GPS - it is alot easier to use a GPS than unfolding a road map going down the road on a bike - Ha.

In case you are wondering, the "IBA" on my license plate stands for "Iron Butt Association"  I hope I have enough iron in mine for this trip.  More to come once I am on the road.

1 comment:

  1. IBA........good ~ really good ! This fan will be following. Deb V.

    ReplyDelete